Please find below the East Hanover / Florham Park Girls Softball Association (EHFPGSA) bi-laws.
EAST HANOVER / FLORHAM PARK GIRLS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION
CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
These by-laws dated November 18, 1992, and amended September, 2013, shall be accepted as the by-laws of the East Hanover/Florham Park Girls Softball Association, and shall supersede any previous documents.
The purpose of the East Hanover/Florham Park Girls Softball Association shall be to instill in the female youth of East Hanover and Florham Park (and any participating town approved by the board) the ideals of citizenship and sportsmanship by providing an outlet of healthful activity and training under good leadership in an atmosphere of wholesome community participation.
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of the organization shall be the East Hanover/Florham Park Girls Softball Association.
ARTICLE II – OBJECTS
- To promote playing of organized softball.
- To provide a recreational program for the female youth of East Hanover and Florham Park, those attending a school in East Hanover or Florham Park, or a board approved participating town.
- To promote good sportsmanship and the ability to get along with others.
- To provide interested players with a demonstrated level of skill to participate in tournament play.
ARTICLE III – POLICIES
- This organization shall be non-commercial, non-sectarian and non-partisan. Neither a commercial enterprise nor candidate shall be endorsed by it.
- This organization may cooperate with other organizations and agencies active in the promotion of youth sports, making no commitments of the organization without the approval of its members.
ARTICLE IV – MEMBERSHIP
- All persons 21 years of age or older residing in either East Hanover or Florham Park, or those having a child registered in EHFPGSA who are interested in the objects for which the organization stands may become members.
- Only members who have attended 3 meetings during the previous twelve months are permitted to vote on any motion, or election of officers of the association.
ARTICLE V – OFFICERS AND THEIR ELECTION
- The elected officers of this organization shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Coordinators.
- The board has the authority to nominate members to reside on the board.
- A vacancy occurring in the office shall be filled by a member by vote from the general membership.
- Any person interested in running for the position of President, must have at least one year of current service on the EHFPGSA board.
ARTICLE VI – DUTIES OF ELECTED OFFICERS
- The President shall reside at all meetings of the association and of the executive board, shall appoint all committees, and shall be a member of all committees and all other duties pertinent to the office.
- The Vice President shall act as an aide to the president and shall perform the duties of the president in the absence of the officer.
- The Secretary shall keep a correct record of all meetings of the association and provide a copy of said minutes to the board and all members either by copy or on the website.
- The Treasurer shall receive all monies of the association, shall keep an accurate record of the receipts and expenditures and give a copy of it to the President on a monthly basis. The Treasurer shall pay out all funds authorized by the association. All checks should be signed by the Treasurer and approved by the President. The Treasurer shall present a statement of account at all meetings, and provide relevant budget documentation to the Department of Recreation.
- The Coordinators shall manage registration, prior year coaches’ ratings of current players for the draft, game schedules, umpires and other time tables including rain outs and reschedules, website content and design, and other activities as needed.
ARTICLE VII – COACHING
- In order to coach, said individual must attend a minimum of 2 meetings in the previous twelve months.
- All coaches must attend a Rutgers Safety Clinic.
- All coaches must submit to a background check as determined by the recreation department.
- All coaches will be approved by a majority vote of the executive board.
- Any person on the field, or interacting with any player, must have a current back ground check and be Rutgers Safety Clinic certified.
ARTICLE VIII – REGISTRATION
A cut-off for registration will be determined each year by the executive board, prior to the selection of the coaches. The recreation department will be notified of the cut-off date by the President of the league. The board has the right to extend this time period.
ARTICLE IX – MEETINGS
- A regular meeting of the association shall be held on a monthly basis, unless otherwise provided by the association or the executive board.
- The meetings of this association shall be open to its members, but the privilege of holding office, making motions, and voting shall be limited to the members of the association as defined in Article IV.
- Eight members (including two officers) present shall constitute a quorum.
- All motions will be recorded by the secretary and presented as part of the minutes.
ARTICLE X – EXECUTIVE BOARD
- In the case of an urgent need, the president shall call a special meeting of the executive board. In the absence of the president, then the next presiding officer will call the meeting. Any by-law or league rule may be temporarily amended as long as three officers are present, until the next scheduled meeting.
- The executive board has veto power over any appointment or action of the president by a two-thirds majority of all executive board members.
ARTICLE XI –AMENDMENTS
- These by-laws may be amended with a two thirds vote of the executive board.
- These by-laws shall be given to any member of the association upon request.
ARTICLE XII – BREAKDOWN AND PLACEMENT OF PLAYERS
- Kindergarten Division : Instruction in the form of a clinic.
- Bonnie Division : First and second grade girls. The Bonnie Coordinator will divide the teams in an equal manner. There shall be a maximum of 2 hours of participation divided equally between instruction and play.
- Junior Division : Third and fourth grade girls. Teams to be determined by an annual draft.
- JV Division : Fifth and sixth grade girls. Teams to be determined by an annual draft.
- Senior Division : Seventh and eighth grade girls (potential to include ninth grade girls). Teams to be determined by an annual draft.
- The teams will be selected through a draft, administrated by the executive board. Two coaches from each team will be present at the draft.
- All players shall be rated according to their ability, on a scale of 1 (excellent) through 5 (needs improvement) by their head coaches at the conclusion of the previous season. These ratings will be reviewed by each coach in the division and unanimously agreed upon before the next year’s draft.
- The executive board retains the right to revise the divisions based on registration sign ups.
- All division shall play by their division rules as set forth by the executive board.
ARTICLE XIII – DRAFTING
- The draft will be monitored by the executive board.
- The draft order shall be in snake formation 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
- Managers will pick a number from a hat to determine their order in the draft.
- Pitchers will be assigned before the draft begins, and will be removed from the draft.
- Coaches shall not reveal any player’s rating to anyone.
- Only two rounds may be open at any time but the next round may not open until the higher round of the three is closed.
- Unrated players can be chosen at any time during the draft.
- A coach must immediately choose their child when that round that includes their child opens.
- There shall be no courtesy picks, deals, modifications, or trading of the players during the draft, unless otherwise authorized by the executive board.
ARTICLE XIV – SPONSORS
- Sponsors fees will be determined yearly by a vote of the board.
ARTICLE XV – LEAGUE STANDINGS
- Standings will be kept for playoff purposes only.
ARTICLE XVI – PLAYOFFS
- All divisions (except Kindergarten and Bonnies,) will participate in a playoff with a single elimination. The winning team will receive a trophy.
- When multiple teams complete league play tied for any place in the standings, their head to head records will determine the seeding for the playoffs. If teams are still tied, a coin toss will determine the seedings.
- The home team is determined by the team with the higher seeding.
- In a four-team league: seed 1 plays seed 4, and team 2 plays team 3 in the first round of the play-offs. The two winning teams will play for the championship.
- In a five-team league; team 5 plays team 4 in a ‘play-in’ game. The winner of that game plays team 1, and team 2 plays team 3 for the first round of the play-offs. The winner of those 2 games then play for the championship.
- In a six-team league; teams 1 and 2 have a first round bye. Team 3 plays team 6, and team 4 plays team 5 in the first round of the play-offs. The lowest remaining team plays team 1 and other remaining team plays team 2. The winning teams play each other for the championship.
- In a seven-team league; team 1 has a bye, team 2 plays team 7; team 3 plays team 6, team 4 plays team 5. The lowest remaining teams play the highest remaining team; winners play for the championship.
- In an eight team league; team 1 plays team 8, team 2 plays team 7, team 3 plays team 6, and team 4 plays team 5. The lowest remaining teams play highest remaining teams. The winners play each other for championship.
ARTICLE XVII – TRAVEL SOFTBALL
- A travel coordinator will be assigned by the executive board.
- Any child who wants to play travel softball must play rec softball that year.
- There will be try outs every season, with a 12 player minimum, unless there are less than 12 girls trying out.
- Coaches running the travel teams will have full discretion on the choice of players.
- If a team is formed in the Spring, and the entire team would like to play Summer and Fall, then that team can continue forward without tryouts. If there are children who drop out during Summer, they will lose their position on the team for Fall and will have to try out in the Fall season.